Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Sorcery and Cecelia: Book Review


I ardently adored this book! On a random side note, though, it seems I cannot hear the name Cecelia without thinking of this song, so it's been stuck in my head for weeks. Rather annoying as I don't know all the words. But I just thought I'd pass on the disease to someone else if they click the link.

This epistolary novel is a correspondence between two cousins: Cecelia Rushton (a.k.a. Cecy) and Katherine Talgarth (a.k.a Kate). Kate is in London for the Season while Cecelia is left to languish in boredom at home. Or so she thinks until both cousins are unexpectedly drawn into a vicious intrigue among three powerful wizards concerning a chocolate pot that can mean the difference between life and death.

Now, I've always loved Jane Austen and I've always loved fantasy, but before this book, putting them together seemed as dubious to me as chocolate and onions. However, Patricia C. Wrede is a fond and nostalgic memory from my childhood because of Dealing with Dragons, so I have a great deal of faith in her skills, but the first few pages threw me off with their off-handed mention of wizards and the many names similar to Jane Austen's books. But I felt the novel soon took on it's own unique voice which is usually my primary concern whenever I read any type of Jane Austen spinoff. Though it helped immensely that this boook did not feature any actual Austen characters, particularly Mr. Darcy. The trouble with such spinoffs is it feels like all their possibilities have been played out to the fullest already and then some.

I was also relieved to find the language to be believable for regency times, but not too reminscient of Austen. A series of Jane Austen mysteries I've read before were enjoyable but often had the problem of stealing lines straight from Austen's novels. Rather than seeming like a clever homage, it got to be so common that it usually made it seem like the author couldn't think of any other regency turn of phrase.

The language in Sorcery and Cecelia, on the other hand, was either well researched or the authors at least read more than just Austen's books from that time period. There were many phrases I didn't recognize or was tempted to look up later, which is why I enjoyed Austen's books in the first place. I love being immersed in the language of a different time and Sorcery and Cecelia does this immensely well in my opinion. Regency scholars might disagree, but for the average layman like myself, the language was perfectly believable.

As for the fantasy element, I was admittedly skeptical of the idea of an enchanted chocolate pot but Wrede and Stevermer manged not to make it as ludicrous as it sounds and by the end I took it seriously enough. I suppose I could say it's the type of fantasy I've always preferred, character oriented and not epic. No orks invading the rectory. But I feel like the Regency romance aspect was only nicely flavored by the fantasy and not the other way around. I probably still would have liked the story even without the fantasy element, as amusing as it was, but I wouldn't without the regency element. Maybe that's just me.

As for the romance, I loved it. Parts of it were slightly predictable but in a charming way and not an annoying one. I suspect this is when you know who likes who, but you're not sure how they'll get together and that's what makes it worth reading. It made me feel warm and gooey inside just like a good Austen book.

1 comment:

  1. I love finding proper reviews of this book and people who appreciate it for what it is! Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete